PUBLIC AWARENESS AND EDUCATION

Natural gas, America’s most popular home heating energy, is increasingly popular for use by homeowners, schools, businesses, factories and power generation facilities because it is efficient, clean reliable and a relative bargain compared to alternative energy sources.

As with any energy source, certain levels of safety should always be practiced!

Natural gas is a colorless, odorless gas; however, a chemical that smells similar to rotten eggs is added to help detect a possible leak. Some of the indications of a gas leak include hearing a hissing sound, seeing bubbles in water or blowing sounds from a line or an appliance, dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area, or dirt or dust blowing from the ground or the smell of rotten eggs.

In portions of Middle Georgia, Jointly Owned Natural Gas provides natural gas to approximately 5000 consumers through a network of underground distribution lines. Main gas lines, typically 2 to 4 inch in diameter, branch into individual service lines which are typically ½ to 1 inch in diameter and buried 12 to 18 inches below ground.

To protect you and others in our communities; federal and state government, along with your utility provider have made safety a high priority. Any time you excavate or move earth in any way, you are required to “Call Before You Dig” by simply dialing 811 at least 48 hours before beginning any and all digging. When you call Georgia 811, they will contact all utility owners who will locate and mark all buried utilities on or near your property, so you can safely dig and prevent a potentially hazardous situation. failure to use the 811 system is a known contributor to pipeline incidents or accidents. Calling before you dig can prevent a costly or even deadly mistake.

If you smell gas, or just think you might smell gas, leave the area immediately and call your gas provider from a nearby location, a safe distance from where the smell was detected. Jointly Owned Natural Gas may be contacted anytime at 478 654-6059. Never turn on or off switches or use a portable light or phone in the presence of a possible gas smell, because an electric spark could ignite gas and cause an explosion.

Do your part to familiarize yourself and your family with these natural gas safety tips and continue to enjoy the value, comfort and convenience of America’s cleanest, most efficient energy source!